The mission of Tybee Island Maritime Academy (TIMA) is to “create a supportive, highly involved, learning community which will promote the highest academic achievement through a maritime, career focused, project based curriculum centered on the natural and historical context of Tybee Island and the surrounding Savannah area. TIMA will guide students in the development of character and academic potential through a rigorous, content-rich, hands-on project-based curriculum. TIMA will include character-enrichment combined with a focus on skill development leading to successful career opportunities available in the Savannah area.”
Tybee Island Maritime Academy (TIMA) was the first and is still the only elementary school in the state of Georgia with an educational program focused on career choices emphasizing maritime education integrated with the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) and Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE). TIMA’s academic innovation and flexibility include:
• A custom, locally-designed and adapted maritime curriculum integrated into the Georgia standards
• Implementation of curriculum through Katz and Chard's Project Approach model
• Classrooms designed to optimize student learning in order to meet the employment needs and skills of the 21st Century.
• Kindergarten and first grade students are given an informal assessment every four weeks in reading achievement in order to modify and individualize instruction.
• Pupil teacher ratio of 18:1 in Kindergarten, 21:1 in first and second grades, 25:1 in third, fourth and fifth grades.
• All TIMA teachers are gifted-certified.